Sunday, January 20, 2013

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)



I can't believe it's been a year since my grandfather passed away (You can see that post here). Even though it feels like just yesterday, I look back and realized how much has changed. My grandfather was a true German-a hard worker, but above all else, he valued his family. As I'm reflecting on this past year, it's all a little bittersweet. Of course I miss him, but at the same time, not a day goes by when I don't think of the life lessons he taught me. I was looking at the two-cents he gave me in an advice book I got for my high school graduation a few years back, and although some of the advice (like "picking up your toys") is more joke than serious, I love that I can look to it whenever I need his guidance.



A few months after my grandfather's death, I had someone re-iterate the first piece of advice on this list to me verbatim. It threw me for a loop since they never personally knew my grandfather, nor did they know that he was known for that quote ("When you work-work, when you play-play"). Whether it was me looking for a sign, or it was some magical moment in the universe, I'll never know. However, I do believe that we need a good reminding (read: kick in the ass) sometimes...and that was his way of telling me to stop sitting in the mud puddle and get my life going.

During this pivotal time in my life with graduation looming around the corner and a million different possible directions to go; I am grateful for everything he instilled in me. Not to sound cliche, but you never really appreciate people until they're gone. You always think of the people in your life as immortal, but they're not. If there is a lesson to be learned from losing loved ones, it is this: cherish the relationships you have, listen to the people you should, and tell them you love them every chance you get. Oh, and always pick up your toys.


No comments:

Post a Comment