I needed something sweet last night, but lacked the necessary ingredients to make cupcakes or cookies...so I improvised.
The end result? Rice pudding.
3/4 cup jasmine rice
2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter
a vanilla bean
1. Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Put rice into the water, reduce to low, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
2. In a separate saucepan, combine the cooked rice, 1 1/2 cups of the milk, the sugar and salt.
3. Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes until the mixture is thick and creamy.
4. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, a beaten egg, 1 tbsp lemon zest, the cinnamon and the vanilla bean (To use the vanilla bean, cut open the middle and scrape the seeds into the mixture, discard the pod).
5. Stir constantly for two minutes, then add the butter.
6. Serve chilled and enjoy!