Monday, August 20, 2012

I think I can, I think I can


There is a major difference between cockiness and confidence. Cockiness, plain and simple, sucks. Confidence stems from the ability to know you’re capable of reaching a goal without having to brag about it. I believe that confidence happens when you’re doing things for yourself, and you’re doing them well. Here are some ways to reach your goals this year, or to show you how to fake it until you make it.
Put a post-it note on your bathroom mirror with a mantra to remind you of your goal every single day. Whether it be “do something today that scares you” or “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels,” this little reminder will be impossible to ignore. I have a picture on my bulletin board above my desk of a pair of Christian Louboutin heels. My little inspiration board reminds me
constantly to study and work hard so that one day I’ll be able to afford them.
Make a list on your phone of why you’re great. This is only for you, so don’t be embarrassed. It doesn’t have to be a monologue, just a few key things that will make you feel great. For example, you could write something like “I’m a great friend, my racquetball skills could make a grown man cry, and I look great in the color red.” Even if it’s something silly that will make you laugh, it’s a guaranteed mood-booster for your lackluster days.
On days when you’re feeling less than your best, look your best. Take the extra time to do your hair or wear your favorite outfit. I have known several professional athletes to say “When I look good, I feel good, and when I feel good, I perform well.” You don’t have to spend a ton of money; it’s as simple as putting on some red lipstick or parting your hair differently. First impressions really are everything, and people will take notice in how you present yourself.
Re-assess your goals periodically. Mika Brzezinski, the co-host of MSNBC’s Morning Joe credits her success to setting goals for every 6 months to a year. For instance, maybe you want to run a marathon under a certain time. Set a goal every month, and train until you reach it. Go lower the next month, et cetera. Growing up playing competitive golf, my dad used to tell me “it’s all in the dirt,” meaning that it’s all in the amount of time you put into it. People may get lucky once in awhile, but hard work and dedication is what will get you to the next level.
Don't wait until New Years to set a resolution. Do it now, and make it happen!
xo, Jaime
As seen in the UAB Kaleidoscope

No comments:

Post a Comment