Wednesday, February 19, 2014

New Beginnings

Every new beginning is some other beginning's end.

As I'm sitting in O'Henry's coffee shop, I'm typing my farewell letter to my coworkers. It makes me wonder how many times I've been in here when someone else was doing the same thing. It's such a necessary and cyclical process of life and growth: quitting-starting-repeating again.

The quitting part has always been a challenge for me. Growing up as a hard-core, competitive golfer, I was always taught to never quit and to never give up. As I've gotten older, I've realized that quitting is a necessary evil. Sometimes you have to leave the person who no longer makes you happy or quit a job that's not emotionally satisfying -- but only after you've given your all. 

That's where I found myself in my last job. I felt stagnant, and stagnation is my worst fear. I always have to be on the move and bettering myself (or at least feel like I am). I'm Type-A to the max, and in many ways, it's my albatross. 

Needless to say, it was a tough situation. I had never quit a job properly (part-time jobs and internships don't count in my book), and it was emotional at best. I was anxious and sick for the three days leading up to it. These were the amazing people who had given me my first job out of college and I was quitting less than a year into it. 

Luckily my employers were understanding and I had a wonderful support group throughout the trying process, so it went a lot more smoothly than anticipated. Afterwards, I felt like a weight had been lifted and I was finally allowed to be excited about the new opportunity ahead of me.

Beginning next month, I will start as the digital brand journalist at blr|further, an advertising agency here in Birmingham. I'm so ready to get my creative juices flowing and showcase my creative writing. After all, it's what I love to do the most.

I have no regrets about taking my last job. It has taught me so much in ways I never expected. Hopefully this will lead to many more exciting opportunities and challenges. I'm ready for it.

But for now, I'm taking a long weekend in south Florida with my family.

I think it's much deserved...


1 comment:

  1. A lot of people can relate with your feelings about your last job. Routines and repetition in work can cause stagnation, which in turn causes dissatisfaction. This is an enemy of both the employer and the employee, and it's a good thing you asserted to seek better pastures. Good luck on your current job, and I hope you're having fun while doing it!

    Kevin @ Barracuda Staffing

    ReplyDelete