Thursday, July 11, 2013

Style Inspiration Series: Joan Holloway

Okay, so I'm going to be starting something new where I share my fashion and beauty inspiration each week with a different style icon. This week is none other than the sassy and curvy-licious Joan Holloway, a character on AMC's show Mad Men played by Christina Hendricks.

I know I'm a little late on the Mad Men bandwagon, but my boyfriend recently got me hooked...and I've gotta say that I'm finding so much inspiration from the character's looks on the show. What can I say? I'm a sucker for structured pieces and anything vintage.

Warning: Before trying to emulate Joan's look, make sure you have the fiery and fiesty attitude to go with it. This is not a look for the faint-hearted, you need to flaunt your goodies in these pieces! ;)


Joan's look is classic. She sticks to what looks good on her body, and with a rocking hourglass figure like hers, who could blame her? What I love is that she manages to exude sex appeal without showing much skin. It's all about garments being tight in the right places.

To achieve that delicate balance of office sexy (without looking like a Playboy costume), wear timeless, curve-hugging silhouettes like shift dresses and pencil skirts. Oh, and that archaic rule about redheads not being able to wear red? Yeah, that's history. 

Joan ups the accessories ante with her trademark bullet necklace, brooches, and of course, patterned scarves. If you've noticed, she tends to wear gold jewelry to play off the warm red tones in her hair and the majority of her outfits. She's not afraid of large stud earrings, and because of her demure updo, they take center stage (in a good way). 

She completes the bombshell trifecta with a smokey eye, red lip, and a polished updo. For a tutorial on how to do Joan's makeup click here. For a tutorial on how to achieve her hairstyle, click here. For a tutorial on Joan's charm, you're on your own, but here's a start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment