Monday, July 28, 2014

Lambert's Rally in Brasstown Valley


Everyone, meet the Lambert family. My maternal grandparents had 10 children. Yes, 10. Over the years, the kids (my mother included) eventually spread their wings, flew the nest and went their separate ways. We have family all over, including Canada, Utah, Ohio, Florida and Texas. The good news? I have a place to stay in almost every state. The not-so-good news? We don't all get to see each other very often. However, when we do get together, it's guaranteed to be a good time. This year, we decided on Brasstown Valley, Georgia, a little resort town nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains. 

{The view from the lobby porch}

{Our cozy little cabin}

{I could not get enough of the rustic decor}



{Cousin tradition- obsessing over my soft skin}

{Cheers-ing to our Lambert genes and sweet matching shirts}
{My cousin Casey is a fancy bartender in Brooklyn and taught me how to make an Old Fashioned}



The next day, a few of us decided to hit up Crane Creek Vineyards for an afternoon tour. Until this tour, I never realized just how complicated winemaking is. It involves so much chemistry and dedication. And it makes me appreciate a good glass of vino even more, if that's even possible.

{Grapes on the vine}

{A great picnic spot}

{The Cabernet Franc section of grapes}

The vineyards were so gorgeous, but I have to say that my favorite part was tasting all of the different wines (obviously). It's amazing how an oak barrel or aging the wine longer can alter the taste so drastically. We had a wonderful guide who was knowledgeable and able to put up with our family's shenanigans (not an easy task). As he would say, we're like pinot noir grapes -- tough little hellions, but a lot of fun to play with.

{Sampling straight from the oak barrel}

{Secretly plotting how I can sneak a barrel out}

{A post-tour wine tasting}

{Mama and me under a gorgeous willow tree}

We definitely took a few "souvenir" bottles of wine home. I was a big fan of the Mountain Harvest Blush, but some of the others preferred the Hellbender, a deep red named after a regional salamander. Overall, it was the perfect weekend getaway and great to see my big, crazy family. Hopefully we won't have to wait so long to get together again. 


No comments:

Post a Comment