Thursday, August 7, 2014

If You Like Piña Coladas...

The pineapple has served as a universal symbol of hospitality for many centuries all over the world. Caribs would leave a pineapple by the entrance of their village to signal to Spaniards that they were welcome.

This symbolism spread to Europe, then to Colonial North America, where it became the custom to carve the shape of a pineapple into the columns at the entrance of a plantation. Seafaring captains used to impale fresh pineapples -- souvenirs from their tropical travels -- atop the porch railings of their homes when they returned. It was a symbol that the man of the house was home and receiving visitors.

Perhaps it's the fruit's rich history, or maybe I'm just trying to hang on to the final days of summer, but lately I've been obsessed with pineapples. I've been seeing them everywhere from fashion blogs to Home Goods, and I cannot get enough. Here are my favorite pieces for the home. I'm all about that colorful print and the neon pillow. Also, I need a piña colada.

Which piece is your favorite?







pineapple






No comments:

Post a Comment