Thursday, August 14, 2014

What Robin Williams Taught Me

I don't usually comment on celebrity deaths, but the passing of Robin Williams really hit me. Rather than remembering him for the way he died, I choose to remember the laughs and life lessons his characters brought me over the years. Here are a few of my favorites...


The first movie I ever saw Robin Williams in was Aladdin. For weeks after, when my mom would wake me in the mornings, I'd quote the genie saying, "Did you rub my lamp? Did you wake me up? I don't think so!" We'd both laugh, and in a way, it made mornings easier. It taught me that a little bit of humor can make even the most miserable situations (like waking up early) better.


Jack was the second Robin Williams movie I saw. It's still one of my favorites, but it's somewhat eerie to read this quote postmortem. It reminds us to not take life to seriously because we only have one to live. Make your life spectacular, every single day. Which brings me to...



Dead Poet's Society is what originally got me interested in poetry and literature. I've always loved telling stories, but when I majored in journalism and English lit, many people tried to tell me things like "You'll never get a job" and "You'll never make any money doing that". I actually had a friend's dad hand me his business card and tell me, "Call me after college when you need  a job." I hate to break it to him, but I'm still writing -- successfully -- because I never stopped believing in myself. No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world. (Carpe Diem, y'all) Never let anyone lead you away from your dreams, because...


Nothing is impossible. What Dreams May Come is my all-time favorite movie. To me, it's the most beautiful love story, because Robin Williams' character would literally go to Hell to save his wife. Even though everyone told him "No" and "You can't do that", he ultimately proved them wrong. There is nothing that can hold you back if you really want and believe in something.


In work and in life, people will (unfortunately) try to bring you down. But that doesn't mean you have to let them. It's easy to proverbially "sit in the mud puddle" and cry, but the more courageous option is to get up and try to find a solution. Patch Adams taught me that it's okay -- even great -- to be different. Molds are made to be broken and problems are meant to be solved. It just takes positive thinking and determination. 

I hate that we lost such an amazing actor and person. He played a genie, a nanny, a doctor, and more -- but I will always remember the role he has played in my life. 

What's your favorite Robin Williams movie? 

No comments:

Post a Comment