Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snow Day in Alabama

Yesterday, I woke up and walked out to my balcony to see if it was cold outside (Because Alabama can go from 10 to 65 degrees in a matter of days. No, seriously). I walked outside to be greeted by this...


Rest in peace mint plant.


I got my boots on and went for a walk...


My car was covered. But that was the least of my worries...

At this point, Alabama declared a "State of Emergency" and all work and schools had to be let out. Except, no one could get out. People couldn't drive up and down these hills with ice and snow on the ground. It took drivers hours and hours to get places they usually do in minutes. Highways were literally jammed, google maps was lit up with red and black, and most people ended up ditching their cars and walking home. To say that Alabama is ill-equipped to handle inclement weather would be the understatement of the year. Here are some photos of the catastrophic results -- my boyfriend took the third one down while he was walking home from work.

All I could think of was those poor people stuck in their cars with no gas in the freezing cold and nowhere to go. It's honestly anxiety-inducing. Luckily, Alabama's southern hospitality prevailed. Here are just a few examples on my Facebook feed of people helping out:



I'm fortunate to live downtown and was happy to help out friends who were stuck at UAB. It ended up being a big sleepover in my 1-bedroom apartment complete with cookies, beer, and a bit of sledding this morning. 


Here's hoping that you and yours are staying safe and warm in this scary weather. Try to stay off the roads. If anyone needs a place to stay, I'm downtown! 
xx, Jaime




No comments:

Post a Comment