Monday, February 3, 2014

The Perfect Cheese Plate

I love cheese and I will find an excuse to eat it with any meal. Recently, I had a girl's night with a friend and we decided to up the ante and make a cheese plate because we're ~*Cla$$y*~. Despite looking fussy and complicated, cheese plates are super easy to make and great for when you don't feel like spending hours in the kitchen. We actually got all of our supplies from Target for under $20. 


So, to assemble your cheese plate you'll need a few things. Obviously, the first is cheese. If you want to be fancy, most people will tell you to have a soft, semisoft, and a hard cheese on your plate. Others will tell you to have a cow's milk, sheep's milk, and goat's milk cheese. I say, do whatever you want. I'm all about easy entertaining, and honestly, unless you're entertaining Rachel Ray, no one will know the difference. However, for reference, I've listed my favorite cheeses, as well as other components, below. If you want a more detailed chart, this one from Cupcakes & Cashmere is great. 




Once you've gathered your cheeses, I suggest adding some height and color. If your plate is all one level or hue, it's not going to be appealing to the eye. Cheese plates are all about appealing to every sense: smell, sight, taste, etc. 

I like to add vessels such as crackers or crusty bread, as well as a cured turkey or Proscuitto for some savoriness. Next, add your sweet stuff like strawberries and grapes. Lastly, incorporate texture. For our cheese plate, we added dried apricots and dark chocolate for some crunch. Other options are olives, nuts, or pickles. These plates are so easily customized and great for any occasion, have fun with them! 


No comments:

Post a Comment