Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Simple Date Night Recipe

For those of you who know me, you know that I love to experiment in the kitchen. I've resolved to the fact that I will never be a baker. Flat pavlovas, burnt cookies, and raw beignets have made my friends run the other way (that's how I know they're keepers). There is no pastry dough safe around me. To make up for those culinary catastrophes and save face a bit, I cook savory dishes. Hence, why I'm a little bit Martha Stewart. 

This dish has become a staple for date nights with my boyfriend or a luxe solo dinner (with a large glass of wine). It's so easy to make, but looks a lot more impressive than it actually is. Sometimes I'll switch it up and toss some fresh herbs or cream in to make it a little more indulgent.

Pan-seared shrimp and scallop pasta (with a side of alliteration):


What you'll need:
-angel hair or your other favorite pasta
-seafood (I used shrimp & scallops)
-veggies of choice (I used onions)
-1/4 c white wine (I used pinot grigio)
-1 lemon
-olive oil
-salt & pepper
-2 garlic cloves

Prep: 
-dice veggies and mince garlic
-cut/de-vein/remove tails from seafood (I like to cut my scallops in half)
-Start salted boiling water for pasta

1. While the water is boiling for your pasta, drizzle ~2 tbsp. olive oil into a frying pan and begin cooking chopped onions on medium-high heat until translucent. Mushrooms are also delicious in this recipe, but I was out. Sad day. 

2. Start cooking your pasta in the boiling water (pretty self-explanatory)

3. Place seafood in frying pan and add spices (salt, pepper, garlic). You can be generous, because the pasta will soak a lot of the taste up. Pour 1/4 c of the white wine and squeeze half of a lemon. 

4. Continue cooking seafood for ~3 minutes, flipping half way through. Overcooked scallops can get a bit rubbery, so use your judgement if they look done.

5. Drain pasta when done cooking, place in frying pan with seafood. Give a good toss, drizzle with a bit more olive oil and the other lemon half. Garnish with fresh herbs. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment